Sunday, November 22, 2009

Thankful for Neighborhood Schools


I have found that sending my daughter to school can be difficult, confusing and basically scary at times. There is always angst and self doubt about decisions made. In addition, I struggle with juggling my own goals and professional life as I try to support my children in their lives. No wonder I am tired!

As the J.S. Jenks annual Thanksgiving feast approached I thought about what I am thankful for regarding the school.

I am thankful that….

1. My daughter is happy and learning new things each day
2. My daughter feels part of the school community
3. I am able to walk my kids to school many days
4. I can raise my children in an urban neighborhood†
5. There is a wonderful playground at the school

† to read a great commentary on urban neighborhood revitalization
Commentary: Undermining Chestnut Hill’s future
by Bob Previdi

1 comment:

Adam Eyring said...

Well said! I am thankful that Jenks is very accommodating to parents who would like to help out. The principal is very friendly, the kids enjoy the kindergarten teachers, and getting to know other parents has never been easier.